Message #3597

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Generating additional puzzles for MagicTile
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 12:41:54 -0800

Following the guide, I was able to create "Helicopter Hemi-Dodecahedron". The definition and solution files are here:

I intentionally made the cut very thick to remove some pieces. At the end of my solve, I didn’t hear the beep sound. I don’t know if there are more pieces than I see, which I didn’t solve. Roice, you can load my solution file, ctrl-Z and then ctrl-Y to verify there isn’t a beep.

About the puzzle, it’s the hemi-dodec version of
TwistyPuzzles.com > Museum > Helicopter Dodecahedron http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1722

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1722

TwistyPuzzles.com > Museum > Helicopter Dodecahedr… http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1722 Above:Solved Click a thumbnail to see its larger version and description. Many people would call this the "True" Helicopter Dodecahedron…

View on www.twistypuzzles.com http://www.twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1722
Preview by Yahoo

It contains only those pieces in the original helicopter cube. It’s a subset of the pieces in E0:1:0 or E0:1:0.11. Compared to E0:1:0, it has the "an extra challenge to solving because of an invisible orientation". The same challenge is there in E0:1:0.11. I won’t say more, but Michael and Ed probably know what that is.

Since my variation has fewer pieces, I think it has a greater concentration of challenges. You don’t need to handle many tedious 1C pieces. I enjoyed solving it without macros in 180 moves.