Message #3594

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Generating additional puzzles for MagicTile
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 18:30:49 -0600

Hi Joe,

Yes!

All of the puzzles are configured via xml, and you can explore their
definitions in the ‘config’ directory. There is one file for each unique
tiling + coloring, so each file defines many puzzles. To make you own
puzzles, you can add xml files in the ‘config/user’ directory.

The easiest way to make some new puzzles is to configure additional
slicings on an existing file. I’ve never provided a document on this until
now, but I just uploaded a short guide
<http://roice3.org/magictile/info/slicings.html>.

Information about configuring new colorings is here
<http://roice3.org/magictile/info/identifications.html>. However, those
can be quite difficult to get working, and folks who have tried in the past
have even run into limitations of the engine. So while I don’t discourage
it, I don’t enthusiastically recommend it either. I will support a new
capability soon that will make configuring colorings easier in some cases.

One other thing that might be helpful is the code that defines the
xml, since the comments there describe the node definitions. Look for
member variables with a [DataMember] attribute attached to them in the
following files.

https://github.com/roice3/MagicTile/blob/master/
MagicTile/Puzzle/PuzzleConfig.cs
https://github.com/roice3/MagicTile/blob/master/MagicTile/Puzzle/
PuzzleConfigClass.cs

Feel free to send me private emails if you get stuck or need more direction.

Really happy to hear you love MagicTile!

Cheers,
Roice