Message #2686

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] About me
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 21:29:17 -0500

In dimension 5 and above, there are only 3 kinds of regular polytopes: the
n-simplex, the n-cube, and the n-orthoplex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regular_polytopes#Five-dimensional_regular_polytopes_and_higher

So dimension 4 is very special, having 6 different flavors of regular
polytopes. Dimension 3 is also special, having 5. If anyone could give
insight into *why* things change for dimension 5, please do share.

Even though there is no "5D dodecahedron", there are 5D polytopes that are
at least reminiscent of the dodecahedron. They just aren’t regular. For
instance, you could make a prism based on the 120-cell, aka a {5,3,3}x{}.
I bet it’d be a horrific puzzle though!

Cheers,
Roice