Message #1131

From: Matthew <damienturtle@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: [MC4D] Re: mc5d solved
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:12:15 -0000

I would be interested in a 4D/5D speedsolving contest. I’m not sure what puzzle to have the competition for, but I hope that it gets decided with a reasonable amount of notice before the competition, since I have little experience of speedsolving these puzzles, and I need practice!

I don’t think we should use the 3^5 though, at least not at first. Maybe if the contest goes well and is repeated in the future, then it could be added, depending on what we learn from the first event. I suggest the 2^4 and/or 3^4, since they are reasonably small. I have not tried the 2^5, but I have always imagined the controls to be awkward since the pieces cannot be clicked to define rotations. The rules also need to be set. Can we use macros? I would say probably yes, but that poses the question of whether we can prepare them before the solve, or if we can only use ones we make during the solve. Then if the second option is chosen, how can we ensure that people stick to the rule? Since we are a small and, I would say, trusting community, we might just use trust. Anyway, the main goal here is surely to enjoy ourselves and have some friendly competition. I also wonder what people’s preferences will be for the program used, though for some puzzles (like the 2^5) there isn’t a choice. I’m sure there are other things to be considered, and that they were discussed before, but I can’t remember what decision, if any, was made. With the addition of new members such as Andrey as well as his MC7D program, it might not hurt to have the discussion again. Unfortunately, I am not good at making decisions, so I will be of little help.

That’s me, Andrey, Remi, and probably Matusz Burnicki so far, which is 4. Who else?

Guess I better go practice then.

Matt