Message #773

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] If you thought Levi was insane …
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:39:31 -0800

Congratulations, that’s incredible!  I don’t think you’re insane at all, considering that I have possibly spent as much time and energy on my own projects and consider myself sane. :)

That macro problem sounds very strange, the only way I can think that could occur in the program is the insertion, deletion, or transformation of a move somewhere in the macro.  Given that there was the other problem with the macros, there might be a very elusive bug somewhere in the program. (I say elusive because I believe Roice has considered MC5D complete, and I know he is a very talented programmer and dedicated to perfecting his work before calling it finished.  Given that the program is a 5-dimensional Rubik’s Cube, its complexity could certainly be hiding some bugs.)

Regarding the 3C pieces, a position could occur with all of them solved except for a single piece which has two stickers swapped.  However, the flipped piece can only be in a particular subset of the 3C pieces, and this situation cannot occur with the 2C pieces already solved.

Again, congratulations on this monumental achievement!  I think we are all impressed to see this unsolved puzzle finally be conquered.  Roice must be especially pleased to see that his program has, through your hard work and dedication, proven to be solvable for all sizes (and enjoyed) by a single person.  By the way, your solution is made even more incredible by only containing 293280 twists.  Well done!

-David