Message #542

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] higher dimensional book recommendations
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:21:13 -0500

Yeah, I really like the 7x7x7. It was pricey for sure (which is why I held
off on the 6^3), but it is quite an amazing product and works better than
the 5^3 I have. I’ve only solved it once so far and this first try took
hours!

On the topic of the
"hyper-Gigaminx<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gigaminx>"
and related puzzles, I wanted to mention that there is a corners only
variant of Megaminx (even number of pieces per side) called the
Impossiball<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossiball>.
It doesn’t look so much like a Megaminx, but it is equivalent. I’ve never
handled one myself, but on the wiki page I saw that the twisting does
involve portions of the puzzle getting pushed outward because the slicing
doesn’t happen on single planes. Maybe this is a little impure in a sense,
but since it is physically constructable, we are almost obliged to imagine a
4D version as well. And although I’m not aware of a 4-to-a-side Megaminx
having been constructed yet, maybe it is possible to think about other
even-sided versions of that and M120C too. I haven’t thought enough about
it to be sure though.

Nelson and I were discussing some of these variants off-line and faked
pictures by messing with the settings. He named the 4D Impossiball
"Inconceivaball" :) Also, he surprised me with a picture of a 4D Pyraminx
Crystal<http://www.mefferts.com/products/details.php?lang=en&category=13&id=171>…I
hadn’t even known this 3D puzzle existed. It seems there are enough
permutation problems out there to keep one busy for a very long time! I
uploaded the screenshots Nelson and I did to the yahoo group photo area (click
here <http://games.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/4D_Cubing/photos/browse/40b9> if
you’d like to see).

cya,
Roice

P.S. Thanks for info about the hypersphere chapter in Nonplussed, which is
now on my Amazon wishlist for that reason! Week’s book has a chapter on the
hypersphere as well and I learned new things from it, but I also was aware
of it missing some discussion (he described great-spheres but did not go
into how it is possible to slice a hypersphere into two sections using
tori).