Message #541

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] higher dimensional book recommendations
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:54:47 -0700

Hello All,

Roice, thanks for the book recommendations!  I also appreciate the info
on V-Cubes.  I am going to get both the 6x6 and 7x7.  I would also love
to have the entire collection, once they come out with cubes up to 11x11
in size.

Melinda, thanks for the Scientific American article, and for your work on
infinite regular polyhedra and the related links!  I also prefer
to read about the results of great mathematicians and scientists, but I too
like to read about the people themselves.  I’ll have to get these books
eventually, but I have many books on my reading list right now, including
both Hardy and Wright’s classic An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers
and the Feynman Lectures.

Roice and I have been in communication for some time now, and he
recommended I update the group with my math results on Magic120Cell.
I have updated my paper on the number of reachable positions of Magic120Cell
which was originally a post on this group, and Roice has very kindly agreed
to host it and my future papers on his website.  I have also solved the
problem of the number of Magic120Cell programs with exactly/at most k
colors.  These results can be found on my website,

http://mathproofs.bravehost.com/.

It occurred to me today that both Magic120Cell and the Megaminx can
have any odd number of pieces per edge, and after I complete my papers
on the nxnxn Rubik’s Cube and the Magic120Cell coloring problem,
I will try my hand at finding a formula for the number of different positions
of a Magic120Cell program with any number of pieces per edge.

I hope my work on Magic120Cell will be interesting to some of you.
The only book recommendation I have would be Nonplussed! by
Julian Havil.  Only one chapter would be appropriate for this group,
namely Hyperdimensions, Chapter 12.  It contains the most
complete discussion of the n-dimensional sphere I have ever seen.
It requires knowledge of calculus, but is well worth the effort!

All the Best,

David