Message #171

From: Jesse Thompson <jesset@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] HyperSPEEDsolving !!!
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:50:47 -0700

A good way to hold a competition would be the following:

Ask competitors to have their macros ready, and meet online at a preset time.
Judges prepare a single randomized puzzle file, and publish it for
download at time X.

Everyone downloads the baseline puzzle, and they upload their solution
as soon as they are done. (the smart ones will have the upload form
prefilled out to reduce the impact of getting the file uploaded on
their clock time)

The logs of when the solutions are uploaded can be used to determine
the solution time for each competitor. The judges then error-check the
uploads, make sure they are solved states that backtrack to a state
congruent to the baseline puzzle.

One single competitor could partake of such a setup simply to establish a time.

Many of the judges’ responsibilities could be automated with CGI. Then
the competitions could become self-serve.

Lemme know what you think. :)