Message #4083

From: Marc Ringuette <ringuette@solarmirror.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 2x2x2x2: List of useful algorithms (please add yours)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:16:21 -0700

Hi Jay!

I enjoyed your explanation of your gyro rotation by rolling the pieces
around.
Clearly we think along similar lines; I bet you’ll like my sticker-based
physical 2^4 demo.
https://youtu.be/a90NLdJQQSw

For my most recent video, you can check out my own Monoflip, that I
recorded in a spiffy video side-by-side with its clone in MC4D.
https://youtu.be/k6ZSu0xOPbQ

Those two videos, by the way, appear in my "old" and my "new" Youtube
channels, respectively.  I recently started keeping puzzle videos in a
different place than my personal ones.   I should make a playlist or two
ASAP, but meanwhile they can be dug out of my channels, or the links
found in my archived messages.

For notation,  I’ll cut and paste this from Michael Gottlieb:

Here’s the notation I’ll use for 2^4 moves. I call the eight faces I
(in), O (out), and the standard six 3D face names F, R, U, B, L, D. When
discussing the virtual 2^4 cube, I’ll label moves as something like
"FR", which means rotating the F(ront) face 90 degrees through an axis
centered at the R(ight) face, clockwise as if you were looking from the
R face. For physical 2^4 turns, I’ll instead use a face name followed by
x, y, or z, which follow the speedcubing notation, of rotating the cube
90 degrees clockwise relative to the right, top, or front face
respectively. So "Ry" means rotating the R(ight) cube clockwise relative
to the top of it. A move followed by 2 (e.g. FR2) means doing it twice,
and followed by ‘ (e.g. FR’) means doing it counterclockwise instead of
clockwise.

He’s describing exactly what I have been doing, but I have only
explained it in my videos, not in text.

There has been hardly anything written down – my attempt at an
algorithm collection this week was the first such attempt – and pretty
much everybody has been just winging it, notation wise.  So, feel free
to just forge blithely ahead and use whatever makes sense to you.

Cheers
Marc