Message #4079

From: Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
Subject: 2x2x2x2 solution and analysis
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:25:01 -0400

Hello all – this is Jay Berkenbilt, one of the longest time members of
this group, and the second ever solver of mc4d back in October, 1998. I’ve
been mostly lurking on this list since its formation, popping up every now
and then. Several weeks ago, I ordered my physical 2x2x2x2 puzzle and then
sequestered myself to do my own analysis and solution, free of spoilers
from the list. I have completed this, and I’m now ready to share my work,
dive in, and join all the discussions. I’m looking forward to contributing
and learning.

I have created a YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCedJ9DbblmqBq4H_gWzdL6g/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=da>
with
my solution videos. You should view these "oldest first". The videos are
numbered in order and also linked below in order. Clicking "Play All" will
show you my videos in reverse order. I don’t know how to fix that.

My solution method is as follows:

It typically takes me about 15 minutes to do a full solve. I tend to do
things in a fixed order rather than doing much exploitation of things that
coincidentally happen to be in an ordered state.

I have created a series of 11 videos, each ranging in length from about
2:30 to just under 10 minutes, but most are in the 4 to 8 minute range. The
videos are as follows:

Each video has a descrption with slightly more detail. I hope you enjoy
these. I’m looking forward to feedback and commentary.

–Jay