Message #3448

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 3^4 solved
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:19:53 -0500

Hi Dave,

Regarding your question about the archimedean/uniform polyhedra, that’s
totally possible! I’ve seen some physical puzzles using archimedean
solids, like here
<http://tonyfisherpuzzles.net/063%20Trunc%20Dogic%20(%20Rubik%20type%20puzzle%20).html>
and here
<http://www.verypuzzle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60>.
I don’t know of software doing this, but would be surprised if some didn’t
exist somewhere. Anybody here know any? (That was a slight lie, because
one version of Don’s MC4D that hasn’t been released supports 3D archimedean
variants.)

Unfortunately MagicTile does not support this yet. It only supports
surfaces whose universal cover is a regular tiling. There are some puzzles
that are irregular in the sense of colorings rather than the underlying
tiling, but that’s different than what you are asking about. I’d like it
to support uniform tilings, but it would be a big undertaking and likely
require a ground-up rewrite.

I did want to point out that MC4D supports a lot of uniform polytopes (by
which I mean the polytope is vertex-transitive, but not transitive on all
flags - there are more ways a dimension up for things to be irregular, and
the term "uniform" doesn’t really capture that).

Best,
Roice