Message #3331

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Introductions
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:48:13 -0700

Are you sure you really understand the 3D puzzle? imagine a 10x10x10.
That’s 1,000 cubies, right? But a great many of them are completely
interior, 0-color pieces, and the part you solve is only the thin, 2D
surface. The faces of 4D twisty puzzles similarly surround regions of
4-space that we are generally unaware of, and we work with their 3D
"surfaces". So now it should be clear that the 3x3x3 is built around a
true cube but we’ve given it a misleading name. It might almost be
better to call it the 3x3x6, and the 4D version the 3x3x3x8.

I can’t say much about the difficulty of the 2^D puzzles but it’s safe
to say that each 3^D is really a collection of 3 nearly independent
puzzles of which one is a 2^D.

-Melinda