Message #3310

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] AlphaGo, 4D Go, Hyperbolic Go
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:59:43 -0500

That’s cool that you’ve played torus Go already, since this is exactly what
the duoprisms will be! If implemented using MagicTile, torus Go would
easily work in the 3D view as well. I have to say I’m not planning on
working on this myself at the moment, but would love it if someone adapted the
opensource code <https://github.com/roice3/MagicTile> to do it.

This past week, my brother (who now works with me at GE and is unaware of
this thread) came over to my desk with some printouts of euclidean {3,6}
and {6,3} tilings. We played a few games on them, and it was fun. I
thought {3,6} worked pretty well, even with 6 initial liberties per stone.
Perhaps the fact that there are 3 step loops helps overcome the extra
liberty situation. {6,3} didn’t work well in my opinion because it is way
too easy to capture groups and create ladders. It seems like black has
much more of an advantage by going first. Maybe with some more play,
techniques could arise that make it work.

It’s been great watching the games this past week and all the chatter on
social media. I’m quite happy to have some minimum understanding of the
game now.

Roice