Message #3306

From: joelkarlsson97@gmail.com
Subject: Introducing myself and MC7D related questions
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:09:38 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am a Swedish student and I am currently writing a paper regarding multidimensional analogues to Rubik’s Cube. A couple of months ago I was in brief contact with Melinda Green, Roice Nelson and Andrey Astrelin, whom I would like to thank for all their help. Since then, I have been following the group and am now taking the time to officially spell out my affiliation. I came across Melinda’s MC4D app a couple of years ago but didn’t try to solve it before last summer. Then, I came up with a complete solution based on my knowledge of three-dimensional twisty puzzles.

In my paper, I will, obviously, examine if MC4D, MC5D and MC7D are proper multidimensional analogues of Rubik’s Cube (which I do believe that they are). MC4D and MC5D didn’t take too long to figure out how they work and how the puzzles are visualised (partially thanks to this group, where I have read a bit about the development of MC5D, and Melinda and Roice). MC7D is, however, a little bit harder to understand, especially since it is not possible to alter the twist speed. I would, therefore, be very grateful if someone with experience with MC7D can explain how to manipulate the puzzle properly and how the dimensions are displayed. Andrey told me that the extra three dimensions (from MC4D) are visualised through something he calls "fractal unfolding". Could anyone please explain how this actually works (lower-dimensional analogues would be great for the understanding)?

Any contributions or discussions are appreciated and thank you all for all of the previously posted, indeed helpful, conversations.