Message #3069

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Snowcrash and Permutation City
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:10:58 -0800

Hello Vasily,

Snowcrash’s metaverse was the inspiration for Second Life which I helped
develop for a couple of years.
I felt it was amateurishly written but it described a concept that still
resonates loudly. A related work that I recommend much more is Greg
Egan’s "Permutation City". The writing quality is also not terribly good
but the concepts that he works with are quite well grounded in science.
It’s out of print but you can find copies through Amazon and others.
Greg generously made a PDF version
<http://vvstepa.wheelnt.ru/FTP_root/Books%20&%20Articles/Greg%20Egan/Greg%20Egan%20-%20PERMUTATION%20CITY.pdf>
freely available.

-Melinda