Message #2921

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: RE: 120Z solved!!!
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:09:16 -0800

Congratulations!

A couple of days ago, I was defeated by the complicated 2C orbits. But I know this is the hardest puzzle I’ve seen, so I won’t give up. Some day I’ll solve it.

I am writing some Python scripts to analyze the parity situation of the 2C and 3C orbits. They can be formalized as linear algebra modulo 2. I installed Sage to solve linear systems in GF(2). It turns out (unless the script is wrong):

If the parity of all 3C orbits are solved, the parity of the 2C orbits are automatically solved.

This result surprised me in a good way. I think I’ll focus on 3C first and try solve them (I still don’t have any idea yet, even after reading your strategy). Then finding 2C three-cycles without affecting 3C should be easy. I’ll keep working on it.

Congrats again!

Nan