Message #2347

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:21:40 -0500

Hi Melinda,

Thanks, I’m glad you like them! Yeah, these are the 2D cross-sections of
{3,3,n} H3 honeycombs (at the plane-at-infinity in the half-space model).
I don’t hope to get anywhere honestly, other than to enjoy gaining a
better understanding via this path suggested by Don. Until he brought up
the idea, I had never considered investigating this class of honeycombs
this way.

At this point, I could image puzzles based on these honeycombs and their
duals (of which Andrey’s {6,3,3} is one). Face-Turning {3,3,n} puzzles
(with spherical cuts) seem theoretically possible, though programming them
feels like a *monumental *challenge. A much easier path to new puzzles
would be to take a step back to the 2D world, and perhaps make FT puzzles
based on {3,inf} and {3,ultrainf} tilings. Those would have some hope of
shorter-term realization, and it would be cool if MagicTile could support
them someday.

Cheers,
Roice