Message #2333

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:09:38 -0700

On 7/13/2012 1:13 PM, Roice Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Melinda Green wrote:
>
> Wow! I guessed I missed the picture too. That is gorgeous!
> So how does this get sliced into a twisty puzzle, and does that happen
> in 2D or 3? :-)
> -Melinda
>

> I have no idea about twisty puzzle slicing! And as the picture is a
> 2D slice of an H3 tiling, I’m not sure the answer to the section
> question either.
>
> Since links weren’t coming through correctly before (using the gmail
> link feature), here is the URL for the other link on recursive circle
> inversions, with a few more pretty pictures…
>
> http://roice3.blogspot.com/2012/07/recursive-circle-inversions.html

Very pretty indeed, especially the multicolored ones at the end!

> The study had a Rubik-analogue motivation behind the scenes, as usual
> :) I was attempting to find an analogue for a fractal Rubik’s Cube,
> which you started a thread on some time ago here:

> I imagine something where the nested circles twist recursively. I
> haven’t been able to tame the right idea, but still hope there may be
> some elegant approach.

I thought of this as soon as someone mentioned fractals, but it had
never occurred to me to also include infinite faces! If there is a
twisty puzzle here I am sure you will find it. Unfortunately that also
means you will have to also implement it. I’ve been learning that
interesting discoveries can be as much of a curse as a blessing.

-Melinda