Message #2054

From: schuma <mananself@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Super Puzzle Sunday!
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:07:55 -0000

I don’t think there is "standardized" terminology. After all, terms are fine as long as there’s no ambiguity for the readers. I think, the meaning of the word "sticker" is clear. The phrases "2C pieces" or "edge pieces" are also clear, which also clarify the meaning of "pieces" in the context. Sometimes I use the single word "piece" for this meaning. I think most people in the twistypuzzles forum use it like this.

I haven’t solved E1:0:1 cube because I haven’t spent much time on MagicTile yet. I have solved this puzzle several times on Gelatinbrain (3.3.7). It’s a famous puzzle called "Little Chop". It’s notoriously hard to solve and to physically build.

It appears to be simple and innocent but is very hard to solve. Constructing 3-cycles is hard because it’s hard to isolate a single piece. Even if a 3-cycle algorithm is found, setup is sometimes long and hard. It may be the hardest puzzle with <= 24 pieces (also 24 stickers in this case).

An interesting fact is that building it physically is hard. When it was first built, there were hundreds of internal pieces forming several layers, like an onion. Although it only has 24 pieces seen from outside, it has 209 pieces, 44 screws, 24 washers and 6 springs in total. Since the structure is so complicated, people later changed the plan and built it using a big magnet ball.

Since E1:0:1 is such a legendary puzzle, Ed, I think you should try it. With macros you don’t have to memorize the 3-cycle algorithms. With F1-F2-F3 you don’t have to memorize setup moves. All these features make it more solvable.