Message #1728

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: MagicTile v2 Preview update
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:25:48 -0500

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Matthew wrote:

> I just had another look at them, and realised the first one is even more
> confusing than I first thought. It’s to do with the colour scheme, pieces
> with identical colour combinations don’t have to be found between the same
> pairs of faces. Twist the green face for instance, there is a green/yellow
> edge between the green and red faces, and a different green/yellow edge
> (same piece type) between the green and white faces. That’s going to make
> any solve even more complicated, and it already looks pretty difficult.
> I’ll want to solve some of these, but I may struggle a lot! Otherwise, the
> program looks amazing, cheers Roice.
>
> Matt S

Yeah, they’re weird! I bet we’ll see parity effects on these puzzles as a
result of what you are observing (say when you unknowingly put one of those
green/yellow pieces in the location of the other).

I’m playing with the "Petal" version, which will be significantly simpler
(doubt I’ll ever be able to solve the others). After looking a little more,
I think one key to solving might be working with what is the white face by
default. That one is different than all the others because it has 5
different color combinations of edge pieces instead of 3. Doing a
commutator with it and one adjacent face will cycle just 3 edges, whereas
commutators with other adjacent faces permutes around a lot more. I just
noticed a commutator of two of the other faces that only share a vertex
alters only some of the 1C pieces, so that should be useful too.

seeya,
Roice