Message #1448

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Social dream
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:50:39 -0800

Andrey,

I’m glad that you are taking the lead on this subject because these log
files are the true model/document/heart of these puzzles. Various
programs that let users view and edit these files will come and go but
it would be truly wonderful if we can standardize on this core issue. I
like everything I’ve see so far in the discussion and I would like to
pose one additional question which is how well can we also support other
dimensional puzzles as well as flat and hyperbolic spaces? IOW, I would
like to know just how good or bad the fit will need to be in order to
support all of the puzzles that we have already created. I wouldn’t want
to do it if it required ugly kludges but I’m sure that everyone would
agree that it would certainly be a truly lovely dream to retrofit our
existing puzzles to support a single "Grand Unified" twisty puzzle log
file format if it can be done in a natural way. Of course it would be
nice if the files ended up being human readable but that’s not an
important goal because a simple read-only log file viewer can always be
written later. I would much rather have an unreadable format that covers
all twisty puzzles than to have several readable but incompatible formats.

-Melinda