Message #1430

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Social dream
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:54:49 -0600

Hi Eduard,

I can’t give you the "table of stickers" you are asking for, because it
would be huge. I can briefly describe the log file encoding though. In
Magic120Cell, all the information for a twist is encoded into a 32-bit
integer, which is what you see in the log files. There are 63 stickers per
cell, so 6 bits are required for that. 7 bits are needed to record which of
the 120 cells the sticker is on. 1 bit is used to record the twist
direction, and another for whether or not it is a view rotation. In
retrospect, I don’t like that I packed it all into an integer. It is
compact, but people want to look in the log files and understand them, and
this representation is opaque. For the MagicTile log files I did a few
weeks ago, I made it more reader friendly. Andrey has suggested we come up
with a standard format, so I’m sure some of these issues will arise when
that is discussed.

MC4D has a different encoding of twists. I didn’t check the source code
(which is available
online<http://code.google.com/p/magiccube4d/source/browse/>),
but I’m pretty sure the last digit you were asking about is a
bitmask<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitmask>representing the
slicemask of the twist (which slices were held down while
twisting). For the 120-cell puzzle with 3 stickers-per-side, this is not an
import piece of information, which is why it wasn’t part of my twist
definition above. But for other MC4D puzzles, it is important. If you had
a 120-cell puzzle with 5 stickers per side, slicemask would need to be
included.

Here are my other thoughts on this.

Best,
Roice