Message #1093

From: Klaus Weidinger <klaus.weidinger@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 3^4 in 237 twists
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:39:15 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

nothing to apologize for. God’s number is the number of moves you need to solve
the cube from any given state. For example, it is very likely that God’s number
for the normal Rubik’s is 20. Every position that has been tested up to now
could be solved in 20 twists or less and it is mathematically proven, that no
state of the cube is more than 22 face twists away from the solved state. This
is a very low move count, but not out of human range, because out there, some
guys have already solved the cube within 19 moves.

For the 3^4 God’s number is at least 56 as computed by Andrey and I expect it to
be anything from 58 to 62. And I’m quite optimistic that someday we will be able
to solve a 3^4 optimally with a computer. I might take SOME more years (those
programmes are not even developed, nor are our computers capable of this task
yet), but I think we have a good chance to get this done within our lifetime.
But I just can’t imagine that there will ever be some human being able to solve
the 3^4 with a move count this low. Therefore, in my opinion there have to be
seperate categories for humans and computers in fewest move solving, even if the
latter ones do not even have entered the "competition" yet.

You also asked how computers solve a 3^4. Well, at the moment, they don’t do it
at all, but if they will ever do, they won’t use MC4D, because I expect the
graphical user interface to be kind of cumbersome for them ;-) But if you want
to understand how a computer can solve a Rubik’s I would suggest having a peek
at the manuals and FAQs of CubeExplorer. They are quite informative. This should
also answer your last question on how programmers are solving a Rubik’s.

If you want to know how I solved the 3^4 with so few twists you will have to
either search the archives (you will find a very rough description of my
method), or have to be a little bit patient, because I’m going to put some
precise descriptions of my methods on the wiki. Before that, I will, however, do
some more solves, which may take some time.

Happy Hypercubing,
Klaus