Message #1094

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 3^4 in 237 twists
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:19:58 -0500

> You also asked how computers solve a 3^4. Well, at the moment, they don’t
> do it at all, but if they will ever do, they won’t use MC4D, because I
> expect the graphical user interface to be kind of cumbersome for them ;-)

Actually, Don wrote a computer solver that works for Rubik’s Cubes in any
dimension…that is, until your computer’s resources run out :)

http://www.plunk.org/~hatch/MagicCubeNdSolve/

You were right about it not using the gui interface. Don’s file format for
specifying the state is text based, and Andrey’s recent fractal-like MC7D
design actually reminded me of it a little (since they both rely
on recursion in a manner reminiscent of each other).
Don’s initial post about this is
here<http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/4D_Cubing/message/243>.
A post describing typical results (~1700 moves for the 3^4 and ~10K moves
for the 3^5) is here<http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/4D_Cubing/message/249>
.

Cheers,
Roice