Message #668

From: Kyle Headley <kygron@yahoo.com>
Subject: My solution
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:33:37 -0000

Hi! I was #93 on the 3^4 solution list, and I was told I had a unique solution, so I wanted to let you all know what I did. Sorry for the delay, there was some confusion about me getting on this group.

For an analogy, take a regular 3^3 (3d cube) and orient it so you’ve got a top and bottom and sides. Now rotate any sides 180 at a time. If you notice the center slice of the cube, it behaves exactly as a 3^2 puzzle, the 2d analog. If you also allow turning that center slice (reorienting the 3^2) you’ll find that you only need to turn one face of the 3^3.

When you get to 4d, the extra freedom of movement makes this technique even more useful, as not only the center slice, but the top and bottom slices can be manipulated in the same way, as long as the top (and bottom) stickies are the same color.

It gets a bit more complicated than that, but overall, if you’re willing to let your turn counter rise a bit, you can solve about 90% of the 3^4 not with analogous techniques, but with IDENTICAL techniques as the 3^3. If some visual and control issues are resolved (especially with the 5d), this should make it much easier for people to get started solving these puzzles.

Kyle