Message #193

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] I’m back!
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:43:43 -0700

Guy wrote:

>Well done, R! Ironically, hyperspeedcubing seems to be a very time-intensive
>activity and I now see I am hopelessly unprepared to take up your challenge.

So Remigiusz, where you able to generate much interest in the 4D cube
among the participants in the Polish speed championships? Get those guys
hooked on MC4D and perhaps you’ll soon find some serious competition!

>Does anyone happen to know the maximum ‘God’s algorithm’ move count for a
>3^4 (i.e., the maximum number of twists a scrambled cube can be away from
>the solution)?

I don’t know much about god’s algorithm though I do know that a
surprising amount *is* known about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if
G(3^4) < 3G(3^3)
(The scalar is simply to recognize the fact that there are 3 times as
many stickers to position.) The reason I wouldn’t be surprised is
because there is just so much more room in 4-space in which to slide
things out of the way while doing something else.

-Melinda