Message #129

From: Don Hatch <hatch@plunk.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Some questions
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:03:30 -0700

The linux version does let you rotate in 3d,
but not a fully general rotation– there are two degrees
of freedom called "tilt" and "twirl", which you can modify
using the x/X/y/Y keys.
The initial values of tilt and twirl can be set using environment varables,
X resources, or command line options; see the MagicCube4D-unix.txt
for how to do this.

The reason there aren’t all three degrees of rotational freedom
in the Linux version is just my own personal preference–
I never want the third one, especially when solving the cube.
I always want the "north pole" of the model to point straight
up on the screen; it’s irritating to me if it doesn’t.
Given a general trackball interface like in the Windows version,
I’d just be pulling my hair out trying to get the vertical
axis back in alignment all the time, and never quite getting it right.

When solving the cube, I generally adjust tilt and twirl until I like them,
and just leave them there so I don’t get disoriented.
I do make very frequent use of the 90 degree 3d rotations
that are available though– to get these, hold down the 1,2,3 keys
like a chord, and click on a sticker.
(1,2,3,4 if it’s the 4x4x4x4 puzzle, etc.)

Don