Message #95

From: Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] For your consideration
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:59:04 +0000

> We used to have a standard starting file for the
> shortest solution competition. We could use the
> starting scrambled state of your new solution for
> that. However, my vote would be to just allow a
> random scrambled state if others were cool with that.
> I never really agreed with the thought that a standard
> starting state took any luck out of things anyway.
> Thoughts?

I tend to agree that the starting point is not so important. I think
the order in which sections of the puzzle are solved probably has a
greater impact than the initial configuration, and I agree that
getting that right would be luck. In all my days of frequent 3^3
solving, I found that my speed varied over a narrow range and wasn’t
heavily influenced by the starting configuration in most cases, though
once I got lucky and had all the corner pieces in the right place
after solving the top face….

Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/