Message #72

From: Roice Nelson <roice@gravitation3d.com>
Subject: RE: [MC4D] Intro from a new member
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:21:39 -0600

Mark,

Because of your volunteering at the space exhibit, I thought you might have
some interest in visiting a web site I’ve been running for about a year.
The site has a fun space related shareware program.

www.gravitation3d.com

Sorry to mailbomb the group on this one, but here is a free registration
code you all can use if any are interested in playing with it. You can just
cut and paste this registration info into the program.

email address&#58; 4D&#95;Cubing@yahoogroups.com<br>
registration key&#58; HZ6L-5NCB-R3JL-K0RB

So as to make at least a bit of a cube related response, I figured I’d
comment on the possibility of the 6x6x6 :)

This is probably obvious to all, but I drew up a little picture showing why
it gets much more difficult to physically create these puzzles as the number
of cubes increases. For 7 cubes on a side, twisting a face actually results
in floating cubies. They have nothing to attach to but the face they are
on. 6 cubes on a side provides a little bit of room, but not much! I’m
amazed someone was able to commercially produce the "Professor’s cube".

Anyway, I’ve never seen anything physical with more squares than the 5x5x5,
though I did once see someone (dubiously) claiming to have a way to create
these for as much as 10 cubes on a side. This was on the web, and I
unfortunately no longer have the link. I can say they didn’t provide any
details, saying they were protecting the idea until they could get a patent.
The use of magnets seems to be one potential design possibility I suppose.

I have seen a few online java applets that let you solve the puzzle with
more than 5 cubes on a side. Here’s one:

www.npac.syr.edu/projects/java/magic/Magic.html

If you solve cubes from the centers outward like myself, this can quickly
become uninteresting however.

Another random idea I’ve had in the past is the idea of a cube where the
number of cubes on a side is infinite (and if you are into Cantor, you could
distinguish between countably and uncountably infinite here). Say for
example, you had one of these theoretical cubes 1 unit on a side where there
was a row of cubes at every rational number. As useless as such a thought
might be, one thing I did find interesting is that my normal algorithmic
solution method could not work in a finite amount of time on such a cube,
even if the thing was only a single interior twist from being solved. That
got me wondering about the possibility of a finite solution method for an
infinite cube that was scrambled with a finite number of twists. But I
didn’t think much on that as it seemed to quickly be heading into the
territory of the so called "God’s Algorithm" of the normal cube (this is the
actual shortest possible solution, where you just need to "know" the right
twists to make).

If you’ve ever thought about simply messing with the scale of a cube
instead, another bit of fun you guys might like is at:

www.gravitation3d.com/roice/hugeCube/hugeCube.html

Thanks for the nice intro and the book recommendation.

Roice