Message #4164

From: Luna Harran <scarecrowfish@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Complex 3x3x3
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:40:54 +0100

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15667

This is the discussion where the puzzle was first invented. Basically, that
big grid of rectangles is every piece, and the black dots on the faces are
what faces turn that piece, and the puzzle contains every possible
combination, from the core that never turns, to the inverted core that
turns with every face.

The six cubes in the top left are analogies that help you see the puzzle.
They are:

A standard 3x3
A circle 3x3 where only the over the edge stickers turn, not the face
stickers
A 3x3 with only wide turns
A circle 3x3 with only wide turns
A 3x3 where all three layers turn together, i.e. only rotations
A circle 3x3 where all three layers turn together

When solving the puzzle, any move is carried out on all six puzzles at
once. You can get a sense of how awful this becomes, by simply taking three
3x3 cubes, and turning face turns on one, wide turns on another, and slice
turns on the third, which doesn’t contain all of the pieces, unfortunately,
or by taking a super 5x5 and making each turn a face plus the middle layer
in the same direction.

I can’t remember where I got the program from, and I can’t find any details
with it, but I’ll be happy to share it on here if anyone’s interested.

~Luna

On 21 Oct 2018 00:13, "Ty Jones whotyjones@gmail.com [4D_Cubing]" <