Message #4016

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Abstracting the Rubik’s Cube
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:49:12 -0600

Dear Hypercubists,

I wrote an article about our group for MAA’s Math Horizons
<https://www.maa.org/press/periodicals/math-horizons>. Twenty years of
Rubik’s cube addiction has just borne fruit :D

It’s a quick history of the group’s puzzles as I experienced them. Math
Horizons has strict size limits and it was impossible to cover everything
we talk about here, so my apologies about that.

It is coming out in the April issue but became available online today.
Access to Math Horizons does require MAA membership
<https://www.maa.org/membership>, which I recommend! If you are a student,
you likely have access through your school. Also, I get 50 free electronic
copies through the following link. Feel free to grab one while they are
available and make sure to get the pdf with all the images.

https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/cc7qejfNI5rvbKJK9gKV/full

I was lucky enough to have one of the puzzle images make the issue cover,
which is exciting. It’s a vertex-turning hemi-icosahedron puzzle, shown on
Boy’s surface.

Thank you Melinda and Nan for reading a draft and giving me great feedback
before I submitted last year.

I hope you enjoy it!

Best,
Roice