Message #3994

From: Luna Harran <scarecrowfish@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] The physical 2x2x2x2 as seen by a ‘regular’ cuber.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 00:53:28 +0000

Welcome!

Your solution seems really interesting, and it sounds kind of similar to
mine. It would be helpful to have a walk-through solve video to really get
a grip on what you’re doing though. (Incidentally you can see my solution
here, although spoiler alert for the end cap double twist.
https://youtu.be/lrD-GO-RMCE)

ROIL refers specifically to the Right, Left, In and Out cell moves possible
in one movement from the horizontal position, although it does include some
other moves as a moveset. There were a few posts detailing it, as well as
some videos a while back in this group, but put simply:
Any move of the left and right cell,
90 degree "M slice" moves of the in and out cells,
180 degree ONLY moves of the in and out cells in the other two axes,
180 degree ONLY "slab" moves of the U, D, F and B cells, similarly to a
2X2X4.
However, out cell moves can be kind of awkward, so typically, the left or
right end cap is moved across to the opposite end, so that the in and out
cells are on the left and right, making them much easier to manipulate. The
same restrictions on them still apply though. I’m presuming you know about
the restrictions on movement for the physical puzzle, but I’d be happy to
clear it up if you don’t know.

ROIL notation is very similar to standard Rubik’s cube rotation notation,
using x/x’, y/y’ and z/z’ to describe moving the cells. For example, Rx
would look very similar to an R on a 3d cube, and Rz would be moving
similar to an F. Slab moves can be described as a *2 move, such as Uy2. I
hope that’s clear.

ROIL also contains a rotation with an identical result to Melinda’s, as far
as I’m aware, which uses an "illegal" in and out cell move and some cleanup
moves. Notated, it is (Iy Oy’) Rx2 Bz2 Uy2 Rx2.

I hope that was helpful, but I know I can be bad at communicating. 😅

~Luna

On 20 Feb 2018 21:58, "Brian Pamandanan pentaquark394@yahoo.ca [4D_Cubing]"