Message #3993

From: Brian Pamandanan <pentaquark394@yahoo.ca>
Subject: The physical 2x2x2x2 as seen by a ‘regular’ cuber.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 02:24:53 +0000

I was browsing through the speedsolving forum when I saw this puzzle and had to get it, even though I wasn’t particularly interested in 4D cubing before. I’ve had it for about a week and a half now, and here’s what happened.

Despite this and the fact I haven’t fully gotten a handle on your jargon yet. I did eventually come up with a way to solve it, sketched out below,

-Pre-orient so that one pair of opposite colours is on opposite sides..

—Get as far as you can w/o gyro rotations. (Ideally you have a few target stickers ‘pointing out’. (In L and R cells when puzzle is horizontal) )
—Twist pieces so that when you gyro-rotate, you can finish with 3D OLL(w/ setup) on one cell.—After this is done, gyro-rotate so the target colours are ‘pointing out’ and separate the target colour pair by those two cells.
-Solve cells two separate 2x2x2s—May need to twist transfer between cells.—Need to deal with end cap double twist.

I also came up with three different ways to gyro, two of which I demoed:

Gyro rotation of physical 2^4.

| | |

| |
Gyro rotation of physical 2^4.

Another gyro rotation of physical 2^4. - YouTube

| | |

| |
Another gyro rotation of physical 2^4. - YouTube

The third is a variation Melinda’s gyro move:
-First, you start a clamshell move, but instead of closing horizontally, you continue ‘opening’ vertically until the former L and R sides join.-Do a single vertical stack move.-Do three clamshell moves as you would in Melinda’s gyro.
A question:
Where can I fond out about this ‘ROIL’?