Message #3985

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Physical 2x2x2x2 canonical moves video
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 20:51:03 -0800

Hello Joel,

Yes, I really fudged that one, didn’t I?
OK, here is another attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzRH8BOJL8Q
Please let me know if I’ve made any mistakes.

Note that I’ve moved the clamshell move out of the canonical set, mainly because I seem to be the only one using it. I could do the same with the the arbitrary half-puzzle juxtaposition since it’s composed of simple rotations and 90 degree twists. That would make the set minimal, though that’s such a useful move that it seemed to belong in the canonical list. My feeling is that the canonical set does not need to be elementary. In particular, I’d like the set to be a reasonable and useful set for speedsolving competitions, and I find it difficult to imagine not allowing this move, but of course what matters is the community consensus, and not my personal preferences.

I got a little smarter this time and made both videos unlisted. I’d love some quick reactions so I know whether to make this one public or reshoot.

Thanks all!
-Melinda