Message #3816

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Time for another speedsolving contest!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 20:08:46 -0800

Great, it sounds like we have enough interest for a fun event.

To Nan’s question, this will be one of the MC4D puzzles. I recommend watching the Mathologer’s wonderful video in which he shows a trick to solve pretty much any twisty puzzle <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NL76uQOpI0>. If you practice it on a couple of random MC4D puzzles, then you should be in a position to have at least a chance at winning. Speed is a factor, but I suspect that a steady, methodical approach and a bit of preparation may be more important than raw efficiency or brain power. With the contest at least 3 weeks away, I expect there’s enough time for any suitably motivated person to win. And of course if you’ve been wanting to solve any of the non-cube puzzles anyway but just haven’t taken the time, this is the perfect opportunity to do that.

Nan prefers not the Thanksgiving weekend, so I’ll assume some Saturday in December? Do people want to avoid Christmas or New Year’s weekends, or maybe those are more attractive? If you are even mildly tempted to join in the fun, then please let me know if you already know that any of those days will not work or if you have a preference for the beginning or end of the month. I want everyone to have a chance. You never know!

Happy puzzling,
-Melinda