Message #3818

From: Eduard Baumann <ed.baumann@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Melinda’s physical 2^4 puzzle, Marc’s videos 1-6
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:22:36 +0100

Hi,

Since a few days I have my "physical 2^4" ! :-)

Here are some considerations.

Each cubicle has 4 colors. These are chosen from 8 colors. You have 8 over 4 = 70 possibilities. You must take away those combinations where a opposing color pair is present. You are left with 16 combinations. One combination has two mirrored realisations. You must chose the right one. There are 4 opposing color pairs.

The standard arrangement of the phys 2^4 has 8 octahedra. Only one is complet. Five are splitted in two halfs and two are "inverted" (on the corners of a supercube). All splitted octahedra can with a simple operation be placed in the middle but NOT the two inverted ones !

So you can turn each octahedron (except two) in 24 manners after having placed it in the middle. The unsetting must follow.

Each turn corresponds to a turn (twist) in the virtual 2^4.

BIG question. Is it possible to change the two "inverted" colors by simple moves?

So far I was forced for this to do an assembling from scratch !!! All four pairs of opponing colors can be in the "inverted" position and nothing else.

Kind regards
Ed