Message #3777

From: qqwref@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: A new class of puzzles in MagicTile: Lights On
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 00:20:24 +0000

Pretty cool to see a new type of puzzle in MagicTile! I’ve actually solved ALL 214 of them, and although I don’t feel like putting in the work to add them all to the scoreboard wiki, as usual the xml files are up at http://mzrg.com/rubik/magictile/ http://mzrg.com/rubik/magictile/. That puts me at 873 + 214 = 1087 puzzles by my count.

Now, I say 214, but there are 222 new puzzles - that’s because 8 of them don’t work. Specifically, that’d be the puzzles on the Infinite Regular Polyhedra tilings {3,8}b, {3,12}a, {3,12}b, and the Runcinated Rhomb Dodec. The reason is that those tilings only show up in the 3D "Skew" view, not in a flat hyperbolic model, and Lights Out moves can’t be done on the Skew view. This is probably not too hard to fix, and maybe at the same time, someone can add some non-Lights Out puzzles for those tilings as well :)

–Michael Gottlieb