Message #3757

From: david20708@gmail.com
Subject: Re: 326th Solver
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:44:30 +0000

I think the most effective methods for Eternity 2 that I know of are basically brute force, and that won’t work for a complete solution to the official 16x16 puzzle, but we can work on incomplete solution (trying to get the best score) or we can work on similar puzzles with less pieces. There are a few people working on a 10x10 puzzle that has remained unsolved for a few years, but it doesn’t appear to be out of reach. While working this I’ve been learning OpenCL, Emscripten and a few other programming techniques.

For the 3^4 I think my solution is similar to Roice’s. I solved all of the face pieces without algorithms until I got to the last 3, then I used something like a 3^3 edge cycle to solve them. Then I made a couple macros for edges (one three cycle, one double flip) and a couple for corners (one three cycle, one double twist), and I solved the edges next, and then the corners. As I was doing each step I basically solved one face completely before moving to an adjacent face.