Message #3702

From: Joel Karlsson <joelkarlsson97@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Physical 4D puzzle V2
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 23:39:29 +0200

Horrible typo… It seems like I made some typos in my email regarding the
state count. It should of course be 16!12^16/(6*192) and NOT
12!16^12/(6*192). However, I did calculate the correct number when
comparing with previous results so the actual derivation was correct.

Something of interest is that the physical pieces can be assembled in
16!24*12^15 wats since there are 16 pieces, the first one can be oriented
in 24 ways and the remaining can be oriented in 12 ways (since a corner
with 3 colours never touch a corner with just one colour). Dividing with 6
to get a single orbit still gives a factor 2*192 higher than the actual
count rather than 192. This shows that every state in the MC4D
representation has 2 representations in the physical puzzle. These two
representations must be the previously discussed, that the two halves
either have the same color on the outermost corners or the innermost
(forming an octahedron) when the puzzle is solved and thus both are
complete representations of the 2x2x2x2.

Best regards,
Joel Karlsson