Message #3701

From: Joel Karlsson <joelkarlsson97@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Physical 4D puzzle V2
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:51:41 +0200

I am no expert on group theory, so to better understand what twists are
legal I read through the part of Kamack and Keane’s *The Rubik Tesseract *about
orienting the corners. Since all even permutations are allowed the easiest
way to check if a twist is legal might be to:

  1. Check that the twist is an even permutation, that is: the same twist can
    be done by performing an even number of piece swaps (2-cycles).
  2. Check the periodicity of the twist. If A^k=I (A^k meaning performing the
    twist k times and I (the identity) representing the permutation of doing
    nothing) and k is not divisible by 3 the twist A definitely doesn’t violate
    the restriction of the orientations since kx mod 3 = 0 and k mod 3 != 0
    implies x mod 3 = 0 meaning that the change of the total orientation x for
    the twist A mod 3 is 0 (which precisely is the restriction of legal twists;
    that they must preserve the orientation mod 3).

For instance, this implies that the restacking moves are legal 2x2x2x2
moves since both are composed of 8 2-cycles and both can be performed twice
(note that 2 is not divisible by 3) to obtain the identity.

Note that 1 and 2 are sufficient to check if a twist is legal but only 1 is
necessary; there can indeed exist a twist violating 2 that still is legal
and in that case, I believe that we might have to study the orientation
changes for that specific twist in more detail. However, if a twist can be
composed by other legal twists it is, of course, legal as well.

Best regards,
Joel