Message #3682

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Introduction of the 307th solver
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 06:30:55 +0000

About note taking, let’s separate it to the notes that do not depend on the permutation, and those that do.

All the PLL, OLL algorithms fall into the first category. People spend a long time memorize them into long term memory and even muscle memory. Given enough time to practice, we can all learn many algorithms. This is not the real challenge of blindfolded solves. Usual macros also fall into this category.

The steps to cycle pieces, or the orientation of the pieces, fall into the second category. One needs to put them to short term memory. This is a memorization game, like memorizing a deck of cards. I consider this the essence of blindfolded solves, which differentiates them from speed solving. For this reason, I would consider taking such notes legit only if you take them, memorize them and throw them away before you make turns. Of course, for practice it’s fine to make turns according to notes. But in a real BLD solve, you should not look at the permutation-dependent notes.

Nan

—In 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com, <melinda@…> wrote :

Use this special edition version of MC4D with which you can toggle the blindfolding using <ctrl>d. Note-taking sounds fine to me, though others should speak up if they have opinions or specific suggestions. Best would be to take notes by hand on a piece of paper that you show is blank before beginning.