Message #3680

From: dinicuros97@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Introduction of the 307th solver
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 00:51:31 +0000

Hi everyone,

I don’t plan to attempt 4d blindsolving, as I’m not that good at 3d either. But I have some ideas about how it might be done.

For solving 3 and 2-colored pieces, a modification of Old Pochmann (OP) should work very well, as they behave similarly to how corners and edges behave on a 3d cube (parities of permutations of 3 and 2-colored pieces are same and can be both even or odd). I haven’t tried the method I came up with, as I solved the cube only twice and finding correct setup moves would be really hard for me. However it seems like major advantages of OP may be preserved. Simpler setup moves than those in other methods and overall simplicity. Of course, that is coupled with a large move count. This is irrelevant, however, if macros are allowed.
2-colored pieces are solved using a modified T permutation and the same concept as on the 3d cube, in every step a buffer is swapped with a target and same two 3-colored pieces are swapped.
3-colored pieces are similarly solved with a modified Y permutation.
Same as on the 3d cube, a parity might occur. Using macros I created it is fixed by J permutation, rather than R permutation used in OP. This step should be done between solving 2-colored and solving 3-colored pieces (same as in OP).
The only real difference is that you can end up with 1 incorrectly oriented 3-colored piece, but that is easily fixed by one more macro that solves it.

Solving 4-colored pieces can’t be done in a similar fashion as all the possible permutation are even, so no 2 corners can be swapped. Maybe it’s best to memorize them last and solve them first, freestyle, using 3-cycles and single corner orientations. Anyway, people have done 2x2x2x2 blindfolded so they probably know how corners should be solved better than I do .

Someone might find the set of macros I provided insufficient, but similarly to how Old Pochmann uses J permutation for edges, because it’s just easier to do setup moves for J than for T in some cases, one can also develop some new macros they find useful for skipping long setups.
Reference stickers I use are a bit odd so I marked them on one of the attachments.

Good luck,

Uros