Message #3618

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Remembering Andrey Astrelin
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 00:24:30 -0600

Doing a memorial solve is a really lovely idea, Nan. I’ve always wanted to
finish one of the MHT633 puzzles, so I started anew on the 12-colored
version after reading your email. It will take me some time, but as you
say, this is a nice way to remember Andrey.

So far, I think the 12C puzzle is a natural choice for those who have
solved the 3^4. It’s a lot like that puzzle in that it has 3 layers of
3-dimensional faces: a bottom face, 9 center section faces, and 2 opposing
top faces. The fact that each face has two opposites reminds me of the
Klein Quartic puzzle in MagicTile, and will provide an extra challenge when
finishing up piece types. Working layer-by-layer, one will almost
certainly end up with some pieces that need to be moved to a non-adjacent
face.

As usual for me, I’m tackling it by piece type, doing 2C pieces (9 per
face, 54 total), 3C pieces (27 per face, 108 total), and finally 4C pieces
(18 per face, 54 total). Hopefully I counted those right. I’m finding
Andrey’s setup move and piece finding functionality really helpful. I
haven’t used macros yet, but I think they will become important later.

The most challenging aspect so far is getting used to looking out into
hyperbolic space. Everything is so "squashed" together and pieces are
often occluded by material in front, but I’m getting more used to it. I
like having the "Area Center" slider setting mostly to the left. I haven’t
done any solving in the Poincaré Ball view yet, but I might try that some
too.

I’ll report back when I’m done (at least weeks, maybe longer since I’m not
rushing). And if others want to try, you can download MHT633 here
<http://cardiizastrograda.com/astr/M3dHT633/>.

Roice