Message #3610

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: Remembering Andrey Astrelin
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:24:39 -0800

I was so saddened to hear the tragic news that the member of our group, the creator of many high dimensional puzzles, lost his battle to cancer. It is a huge loss to his family and our little community.

Andrey is the most creative, productive, talented, and passionate person I know in this group. Many of us played the puzzles he created and are inspired by them. Snippets from the MC4D website:

"In 2010, Andrey Astrelin joined our community and immediately broke several of our most cherished records. Not satisfied, he then wrote and released his own seven dimensional version! MagicCube7D solves the problem of visualizing such a high-dimensional object by starting with our now-familiar 4D projection and then partially unrolling the last three dimensions using a clever fractal-like design. Not just one puzzle this amazing piece of code supports all 12 cubes from 34 through 57. Oh and then he went and solved the 37."

"Magic Puzzle Ultimate also from Andrey is his version of MagicCube4D. The user interface is quite different and some experienced users prefer it. It includes some unique and special puzzles such as the much desired and very difficult 24-cell, the 48-cell, the 600-cell along with deep-cut truncated, runcinated, rectified, and snub versions of many of these plus some 5D and 6D puzzles."

"Magic Hyperbolic Tile {6,3,3} from Andrey is the 3D version of Roice’s MagicTile because it lives in a hyperbolic 3-space. This puzzle turns out to be devilishly hard but also gloriously beautiful to behold."

I enjoyed discussing geometry and puzzles with Andrey in this group. His great ideas and deep understandings enlightened us.

Andrey loved puzzles so much. His family told me, that "he deals with puzzles till the last days."

Let’s take a moment to remember Andrey. To me, Andrey moved to higher dimensions. I’m sending my deepest condolences to his family.

Sincerely,

Nan Ma