Message #3476

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Inside a hypercube (and Java Applets)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:54:39 -0700

There’s nothing wrong with that advice except that applets can’t be run
standalone. A separate Java application can certainly be written for
them but that’s more maintenance trouble and people are afraid to
download and execute desktop applications anyway.

Although it’s tragic that applets have become so difficult to use, I was
looking for ANY way that a dedicated individual could run them on
Windows, and you’ve just given me key. For the record, here are the steps:

1) Start > Control Panel > Java > Security
* Enable Java content in the browser
* Edit Site List > Add
- http://nan.ma
- http://superliminal.com
- etc.
2) Visit an applet page such as
* http://nan.ma/InsideH3/index.html
* http://superliminal.com/cube/applet.html
* http://superliminal.com/cube/mc2d.html
3) Using Internet Explorer click through all the scary warnings.

Using Internet Explorer seems to be important as Firefox and Chrome
either won’t work or need additional configuration. I never thought I’d
be grateful for IE but I probably have Microsoft’s lax security to thank
for this.

I’d love it if people would test the above to see if it works for them
or I’ve left anything out. And do please tell us if you find other
browsers and settings that will also work, or instructions for doing the
above on Mac, Linux, or mobile platforms.

I know all these applets should be ported to Javascript but I may never
find the motivation. If anyone else wants to attempt that for any of the
superliminal applets, I’ll be happy to pay you to do it.

Thanks David!
-Melinda