Message #3390

From: Sid Brown <synjanbrown@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Cube puzzles and math
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:48:56 +0100

Hi,

It is possible to define a rubik’s cube configuration as a non-commutative
ring (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noncommutative_ring).
ring R. a,b are elements of the ring R. a,b are possible moves. a*b is the
move a followed by the move b. => a*b != b*a therefore non-commutative. 0
is the ID for the operation * and is therefore a solved cube. a fully
scrambled cube is the product of many moves and may not be in the simplest
form. a*a*a*a=a^4=0.
Storing it as a set of moves is an alternative to the type of group Joel
mentions which is storing the position of each piece and constraining the
movements. In the construct I describe the constraints are applied in the
definition of the possible elements of the ring R.

parity is formed as a move earlier in the algorithm has a side effect of
rotating 2 pieces when performed and later on the move that places these
pieces can only rotate 3. 3 modulo 2 != 0.

I hope this is easy enough to understand. It is probably worth researching
group theory to be able to fully understand this.

Regards
Sid