Message #3327

From: David Reens <dave.reens@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Research Project
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:52:38 -0600

Hi Jeremy,

I think 4D puzzles are an interesting crossing ground between spatial and
symbolic. I find that some people are better with spatial reasoning, and
others with symbolic reasoning. Roughly speaking, the former group are
usually better at geometry, and the latter at algebra.

I don’t really know anything about the brain, but I’m just speaking from my
experience as a physics / math major and physics PhD student, and I find a
very clear distinction between these types of people. In my research, there
are many concepts and data-sets that can be viewed either graphically or
algebraically. My lab-mate strictly prefers the algebra. He wants to see
what functional form fits the data and work with the formulas. I much
prefer to plot my data as a set of contour surfaces in 3D and rotate it
around in a graphical interface. My lab-mate’s way is usually better since
it is still not convenient to communicate science in a 3D manner since
publishers are still married to printed text on some level, although
hopefully that is changing.

4D puzzles take most spatial reasoning types beyond what they can actually
picture in their mind, and requires them to systematize spatial information
and think about it in a symbolic way. Maybe this could be related to the
"purpose" of 4D puzzles.

Best,
David