Message #2992

From: Vasily Vladimirovich Vylkov <vasily@gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Miegakure, a 4D puzzle-platforming game
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:24:05 -0700

Right! Miegakure – I’ve been looking forward to it ever since its first
public announcement a few years ago. (And it got a mention in
http://xkcd.com/721/ which probably didn’t hurt.)

My only quibble is that only a "slice" of the 4D world is visible on screen
at a time. Of all the possible ways to project 4D down to 3D, that one is
the most "lossy" (hiding all but an infinitely thin subspace from view).
But I suppose since his game world is so detailed, showing more than a 3D
slice at a time would get extremely cluttered.

What I’d really love to see is a 4D
"Portal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)#Gameplay>"-like
set of training chambers, maybe using Oculus Rift for stereo depth cueing.
: )

Some other noble attempts:

http://cnslab.ss.uci.edu/fourdim/ (also shows only a slice of 4D space
at a time)

www.mushware.com ‘s Adanaxis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-pmCpa1DE
(nifty fish-eye lens effect for the 4D rotations, among other things,
is described in a collection of documents on 4D
rendering<http://www.mushware.com/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=1>
)

http://www.urticator.net/maze/ (not as lossy in its projection, but only
features wireframe models)