Message #2983

From: ed.baumann@bluewin.ch
Subject: Re: MagicTile Solving
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:51:51 -0700

I have also solved now the “little devil” “MT hyp {1 2,4} 4 v1.5:0:0”.
There was a lot of trial and error and I cannot explain how I succeeded. My usual technics didn’t work at all. No construction of a single 3-cycle is possible and hence also no edge-turner. Replying the log file of Michael doesn’t give any insight. There aren’t phases like orient all vertices, bring all edges home, orient the edges. I tried also to label the edges in the “fundamental” view. I didn’t succeed!! Perhaps because there are 24 and not 12 different edges. Each of the 6 2-color edges is 4-fold. So it is terribly difficult to follow where the edges go. I have no idea how Michael reaches 42 twists for this puzzle. Andrey also has solved it (wiki not updated).