Message #2971

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MC4D] RE: 120Z solved!!!
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:26:14 -0800

Melinda and Andrey, Thanks.

As I posted earlier here, when I solved 24Z, I solved 2C first. There, 2C orbits do have a complicated orbit parity situation. But because there are less orbits and less pieces, the parity can be solved intuitively. After solving 2C, 3C orbits are all evenly permuted. So no drama for 3C in 24Z, unlike in 120Z. Maybe it’s because an octahedron has 6 (even number) pairs of edges, but a dodecahedron has 15 (odd number) pairs of edges.

3^4 Z is even cuter. I looked up my note, and I solved 3^4 Z with the order of 4C, 2C, 3C. It’s because 4C pieces are in a unusual group. And there are parity situation in each step. But they are not very difficult. It’s hard to compare that puzzle to 24Z and 120Z.

Andrey, you mentioned that you would like to try vertex turning 24-cell and 16-cell. Are they just equivalent to cell-turning 24-cell and 8-cell due to duality?

Nan